Statoil discovers new gas offshore Tanzania

Norwegian energy giant Statoil has made another gas discovery offshore Tanzania, the company announced today. It is the firm’s and its partner ExxonMobil’s sixth discovery in the Piri-1 well in […]

Register now!

By Priyanka Shrestha

Norwegian energy giant Statoil has made another gas discovery offshore Tanzania, the company announced today.

It is the firm’s and its partner ExxonMobil’s sixth discovery in the Piri-1 well in Block 2, drilled by Discoverer Americas (pictured).

The new discovery would add two to three trillion cubic feet (tcf) of natural gas in the second block – with one tcf equivalent to 180 million barrels of oil – bringing the total volume up to around 20 tcf.

Nick Maden, Senior Vice President for Statoil’s exploration activities in the Western Hemisphere said: “Since 2012 we have had a 100% success rate in Tanzania and the area has become a core exploration area in a very short period of time. We quickly went from drilling one well to a multi-well programme and with Piri-1 we are continuing the success.”

Statoil operates the licence on Block 2 on behalf of Tanzania Petroleum Development Corporation (TPDC) and has a 65% interest. ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Tanzania hold the remaining 35%.