Chile officially opens its largest wind farm

Chile has officially opened its largest ever wind farm which has a total capacity of 115MW. The El Arrayan facility, located around 400 kilometres north of Santiago on the coast […]

Register now!

By Priyanka Shrestha

Chile has officially opened its largest ever wind farm which has a total capacity of 115MW.

The El Arrayan facility, located around 400 kilometres north of Santiago on the coast of Chile, will generate enough electricity to power around 200,000 homes every year.

It consists of 50 giant wind turbines and was built at a cost of $300 million (£180m).

Around 70% of the electricity generated by the wind farm will be used to power a large copper mine in the Chilean Andes while the rest will be sold on the open market.

Michelle Bachelet, President of Chile said: “This project is another step toward meeting our energy agenda objectives. We want to have 45% of our energy come from clean energy resources by 2025.”

US firm Pattern Energy owns 70% of the facility and operates it while Chilean mining company Antofagasta Minerals owns the other 30%.