IKEA proves blue and yellow make green

IKEA UK has reported a number of sustainability successes in its last financial year. Following €3 billion (£2.64bn) of sustainability investment over the 2016 financial year, the firm has achieved zero […]

Register now!

By Jonny Bairstow

IKEA UK has reported a number of sustainability successes in its last financial year.

Following €3 billion (£2.64bn) of sustainability investment over the 2016 financial year, the firm has achieved zero waste to landfill. Out of the 33,944 tonnes of waste produced by the company, 90.6% was recycled and the remaining 9.4% was used for energy recovery processes.

Its renewable portfolio also demonstrated its value – the business generated 43.4% of its energy demand over the year through its own clean power sources, such as solar panel arrays on top of its buildings.

The business’s new store in Reading is its most sustainable to date, achieving an ‘excellent’ Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method (BREEAM) rating thanks to a wealth of energy and water saving features.

IKEA saw a 13.3% increase on sustainable products sold, rising to a total of £76.8 million.

As well as reintroducing solar panels to its shelves, it transformed its entire range of lighting to LEDS, of which it sold 2.3 million units – this resulted in households across the country saving £19.5 million in energy bills, leading to a reduction of 42,317 tonnes of Carbon Dioxide emissions.

It also opened a range of hydroponic equipment for customers to grow their food at home without soil or sunlight, which is likely to reduce domestic waste and the emissions caused from transporting food.

Finally, the firm planted its millionth tree in partnership with the Woodland Trust.