Glasto fans get in-tents poisoning warning

A new initiative aims to spread awareness about the danger of bringing lit barbecues inside tents. Glastonbury 2017 and Festival Republic have come together to help festival goers avoid the […]

Register now!

By Jonny Bairstow

A new initiative aims to spread awareness about the danger of bringing lit barbecues inside tents.

Glastonbury 2017 and Festival Republic have come together to help festival goers avoid the deadly effects of carbon monoxide poisoning that can arise from continuing to cook or trying to stay warm in enclosed areas.

Emily Eavis, Co-Organiser of Glastonbury Festival and Melvin Benn, Founder of Festivals Republic, are championing the launch of an All-Party Parliamentary Carbon Monoxide Group (APPCOG).

They say the danger mainly occurs when it rains and people move their outside activities into shelter – the results can often be fatal.

Barry Sheerman MP, Co-Chair of the APPCOG, said: “The All-Party Carbon Monoxide Group is delighted that the world’s two largest festival organisers are backing our campaign to raise awareness of Carbon Monoxide poisoning from lit or cool BBQs in tents.

“We want everyone at festivals this summer to have a great time and to not be affected by this silent killer and to raise awareness of this issue to MPs and government who want to protect constituents.”