Deadly explosion hits Mexico petrochemical plant

[View the story “Deadly explosion hits Mexico petrochemical plant” on Storify]

EU probes debt write-off for Romanian petrochemical firm

The European Commission has launched an in-depth investigation into Romania’s support for a petrochemical company. It will verify whether debt write-offs by Romania and continued supplies by state-owned enterprises in favour of Oltchim, despite the firm’s deteriorating financial situation, were in line with EU state aid rules. Oltchim is one of the largest petrochemical companies […]

Shell, Qatar scrap $6.4bn petrochemical project

Shell and Qatar Petroleum said they have decided not to proceed with their $6.4 billion (£4.2bn) petrochemical project in the Gulf state. The companies formed a partnership for the Al Karaana project in 2011 and planned to operate it as a joint venture, with the Qatari firm owning 80% and Shell the remaining 20%. However, […]

Salmond asks why Grangemouth deal came to "cliff edge"

Questions will be asked about why the future of Grangemouth petrochemical plant came so close to the “cliff edge”, according to Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond. Under today’s deal union Unite agreed not to strike for three years and accepted the plant owner INEOS’ survival plan. Mr Salmond said: “There will no doubt be continued debate and […]

Phew! Grangemouth petrochemical plant saved from closure

The Grangemouth petrochemical plant has been saved from closure after the owner INEOS agreed a deal with the Unite union. It marks a lucky escape as the site has been shut down since last week and looked set to close for good after Unite rejected INEOS’ survival plan on Monday. It will now reopen after […]

Grangemouth oil refinery strike called off

The Unite union has called off a planned strike at the Grangemouth oil refinery and petrochemical site (pictured). The move follows 16 hours of negotiation between union members and representatives from INEOS, the site owner as they failed to resolve the row over the treatment of a union convenor. Members from the union were due […]

Talks to be held over Grangemouth oil refinery strike

The operator of the Grangemouth refinery and petrochemical site (pictured) is set to meet with union bosses this afternoon in an attempt to avert a 48-hour strike. Members of the Unite union are planning to walk out on Sunday in a row over the treatment of a union convener which follows a protest last week. […]