UK nuclear project faces uncertainty as ENGIE pulls out

French energy company ENGIE is selling its stake in the venture behind a proposed new nuclear power station in Cumbria. It intends to sell its 40% shares to Toshiba, which owns the remainder of NuGen – the UK-based nuclear energy company that plans to build three Westinghouse reactors at Moorside. Toshiba is to pay ¥15.3 […]

UK regulators approve Westinghouse nuclear reactor

A reactor designed by Toshiba’s nuclear unit has been approved by UK regulators. The Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR), the Environment Agency (EA) and Natural Resources Wales (NRW) said they are satisfied the reactor meets expectations on safety, security and environmental protection. The approval is needed before Westinghouse can use the reactor at NuGeneration’s (NuGen) […]

Indonesia’s new 110MW geothermal plant opens

One of the world’s largest geothermal power plants has started producing power in Indonesia. Technology suppliers Toshiba and Ormat have announced the first unit of the Sarulla power plant, located in North Sumatra, has gone into commercial operation. Operated by Sarulla, the 110MW power plant combines flash and binary technologies to optimise efficiency and re-inject 100% of the used geothermal fluid. Toshiba […]

Toshiba’s US nuclear unit files for bankruptcy

Toshiba’s US nuclear unit Westinghouse Electric Company (WEC) has filed for bankruptcy protection. It is seeking to undertake a strategic restructuring “as a result of certain financial and construction challenges in its US AP1000® power plant projects”. Toshiba and the WEC Group are working with the owners of the two sites in Georgia and South […]

Toshiba chairman quits after £2.7bn nuclear loss

The chairman of Toshiba has resigned from his post after the Japanese company reported a net loss of ¥390 billion (£2.7bn) in the year to March 2017. The losses are said to be linked to a deal done by its US subsidiary Westinghouse Electric, when it bought a nuclear construction and services business from Chicago […]

More nuclear plants nigh after Toshiba and GDF SUEZ deal

A trio of new nuclear power stations in the UK are one step closer after Toshiba bought a 60% stake in company NuGen today. The Japanese firm’s deal with GDF SUEZ (which keeps the other 40%) should see three Westinghouse AP1000 reactors built in West Cumbria. The first reactor at Moorside power plant is hoped […]

‘Major milestone’ for Cumbrian nuclear with new £200m investment

Key commercial terms have been agreed with Japanese technology giant Toshiba and its partner GDF SUEZ for the construction of a new nuclear power station in West Cumbria. Toshiba signed a preliminary £102 million deal to buy a 60% stake in the NuGen nuclear venture in January and has pledged to invest £200 million as […]

Japan’s Toshiba buys 60% stake in UK’s nuclear plant

Japanese technology firm Toshiba yesterday bought 60% of NuGen, a project to build a new nuclear power station in West Cumbria. GDF SUEZ which owns the other 40% said the deal gives “new impetus” to plans for another UK nuclear plant. The 3,400 MW plant will be built with Westinghouse AP1000 technology, different to EDF’s […]

Toshiba to ‘buy stake in UK nuclear’

Engineering giant Toshiba’s US nuclear business Westinghouse is rumoured to be on the verge of buying a 50% stake in Britain’s NuGen. NuGen is a joint venture between Spanish utility Iberdrola and French firm GDF Suez. The firms plan to build up to 3.6GW of new nuclear at the Sellafield nuclear site on the northwest coast […]

Toshiba’s new nuclear inspection robot

Toshiba has unveiled a new robot (pictured) that it says can withstand high radiation and work in risky nuclear areas. The four-legged Tetrapod robot has been built to carry out investigative and recovery work in off-limit locations such as the Fukushima nuclear power plant. Weighing 65kg and able to carry up to 20kg, the robot […]