Pakistan launches ‘first’ solar energy project

Pakistan has launched what is believed to be the first solar power project in the country. Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif inaugurated the first phase of the Quaid-e-Azam solar project in […]

Register now!

By Priyanka Shrestha

Pakistan has launched what is believed to be the first solar power project in the country.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif inaugurated the first phase of the Quaid-e-Azam solar project in Bahawalpur, which will add 100MW of electricity to the National Grid by the end of this year.

The second phase of the project will include adding 300MW by 2015 and 600MW of power by 2016 in the third phase.

Around 400,000 panels will be installed in the solar farm in total, which is expected to help the country meet its increasing energy needs.

The Bank of Punjab is providing 75% of the funding for the project while the remaining 25% will be provided by the Government of Punjab.