University of London surpasses carbon reduction target

It has set a target to become carbon neutral by 2036

Welsh public sector ‘to be carbon neutral by 2030’

The Welsh Government is consulting on plans to decarbonise the public sector by 2030. Environment Secretary Lesley Griffiths announced the ambition for the public sector to be carbon neutral earlier this month and is calling for suggestions on how it can be achieved. It is also seeking views, until 13th September, on challenges around the […]

France to ban diesel and petrol vehicles by 2040

France is to end the sale of petrol and diesel vehicles by 2040. The announcement was made by Energy Minister Nicolas Hulot as he presented the nation’s Climate Plan. It includes plans to offer tax incentives to replace diesel cars that are more than 20 years old and petrol vehicles manufactured before 2001. The government […]

Carbon neutrality takes off at Manchester Airport

Manchester Airport has become the first organisation of its kind in the UK to achieve the carbon neutral status. It has invested more than £7.5 million in energy efficiency projects over the last decade in a bid to reduce its energy use. That includes installing more than 25,000 LED lights throughout the airport, which helped […]

Unilever says carbon neutrality is a Sure thing

Unilever, the company behind Sure deodorant and many other consumer products, has made five of its sites fully carbon neutral. The manufacturer has signed a contract to heat its Leatherhead and London offices and factories in Norwich, Trafford Park and Cork with 10,000MWh of biomethane gas. The deal has been made with renewable energy firm GENeco, which will produce the […]

Ecotricity among UK’s 10 most disruptive firms

Ecotricity has been named one of the UK’s 10 most disruptive companies. It has been awarded a place on the Virgin Media Business Disruptor 10 list, which recognises companies for having a business model, product or service that disrupts traditional market structures. This can be done by creating a new market, transforming an existing market or […]

Bank of America aims to be carbon neutral by 2020

Bank of America has pledged to become carbon neutral by 2020. The second largest bank in the US has committed to work to reduce its greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 50% and energy and water use by 40% and 45% respectively in its global operations during the same period. It also aims to buy 100% renewable electricity and has joined the […]

French airport achieves carbon neutral status

Nice Airport has become the first organisation of its kind in France to be carbon neutral. It has achieved level 3+ Carbon Accreditation, becoming carbon neutral two years ahead of its 2018 deadline and the world’s 25th certified airport. Since 2011, Nice Côte d’Azur has implemented the independent Airport Carbon Accreditation programme, which helps airports […]

Sweden to become ‘carbon neutral’ by 2045

Proposals to help Sweden become “carbon neutral” by 2045 have been unveiled. The parliamentary committee responsible for environmental policy aims to reduce the nation’s carbon emissions by 85% during that period. The remaining 15% will be offset by investing in green projects abroad. The proposals are currently backed by seven out of eight political parties in the country. The committee also […]

Philips to become carbon neutral by 2020

Technology giant Royal Philips has pledged to become carbon neutral by 2020. Eric Rondolat, CEO at Philips Lighting made the announcement at the COP21 climate conference in Paris. The firm believes it may have reduced its carbon footprint by 40% since 2007 and aims to accelerate its emission reductions to achieve the goal in the next five […]