Costa Coffee sets 2040 net zero target

It is looking to halve its carbon emissions by 2030

Big Zero Report 2022

Costa Coffee has committed to becoming net zero by 2040.

The hot drinks chain has also made a pledge to halve its carbon emissions by the end of this decade to help it achieve this wider aim.

Its targets have been approved by the Science-Based Targets initiative (SBTi) and include powering its coffee roastery with 100% renewable gas and improving farming practices.

Costa revealed that just 5% of its total emissions are direct (scope 1 and 2), with the remaining 95% coming from how its products are grown, transported, prepared and supplied (scope 3).

Sustainability Director, Deb Caldow, said: “We know that reducing our emissions by half per coffee serving and ultimately reaching net zero is going to take a lot of collective effort from all of us at Costa Coffee – from our team members and partners to our suppliers and consumers.

“But we are energised and prepared to work together to make a difference, as we continue to aspire to become the world’s most loved coffee brand and uplift the lives of coffee fans around the world.”

If you enjoyed this story you can sign up to our weekly email for Energy Live News – and if you’re interested in hearing more about the journey to net zero by 2050, you can also sign up to the future Net Zero newsletter. 

Latest Podcast