Figueres says world has 75% chance of winning carbon battle

The world has 75% chance of beating climate change if it acts now, but if it delays, then that figure drops to 25%. So said Jose Maria Figueres, former president […]

Register now!

By Siobhan Conaty

The world has 75% chance of beating climate change if it acts now, but if it delays, then that figure drops to 25%.

So said Jose Maria Figueres, former president of Costa Rica and now chairman of the Carbon War Room, at a sustainability conference in London.

Mr Figueres said the key to a significant carbon-cutting strategy lay with the private sector. “We need the private sector to step up to the plate,” he said, adding that we “can’t rely on governments”.

The Carbon War Room was founded by Richard Branson to bring together entrepreneurs to implement market-driven solutions to climate change.