Woman dies following suspected gas leak

A woman was declared dead after a suspected gas leak in the Scottish borders yesterday. Firefighters set up a cordon and evacuated people from neighbouring houses after there was a […]

Register now!

By Priyanka Shrestha

A woman was declared dead after a suspected gas leak in the Scottish borders yesterday.

Firefighters set up a cordon and evacuated people from neighbouring houses after there was a smell of gas at a property in Fairhurst Drive in Hawick.

A Police Scotland spokesperson said:”[We] can confirm an elderly woman was found dead within a property in Fairhurst Drive, Hawick yesterday. Enquiries are at an early stage and no details of identity will be released until next of kin have been informed.”

Gas distribution company Scotland Gas Networks (SGN) was also called to the site by the Fire Service at around 1:39pm.

A spokesperson from SGN said: “The Fire Service had evacuated neighbouring properties as a precaution. Our engineers carried out safety checks and local residents were able to return home.

“The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) will now be carrying out an investigation and we will be assisting with our expertise, although it has already been ascertained that our gas network was not involved.”