Businesses in the UK can apply for a share of £2 million for biotechnology projects.
Innovate UK is providing the cash to support firms in joint projects with organisations from other countries and investigate how biotechnology could support sustainable industrial development.
The aim is to help transform the global economy from dependence on fossil raw materials to more sustainable, bio-based resources.
Projects are expected to include at least one of the following processes:
- Synthetic biology
- Systems biology
- Bioinformatic tools to identify and use metabolic pathways
- Biotechnological approaches (possibly in combination with chemical ones)
They must also cover one of the specific research topics:
- Sustainable production and conversion of different types of feedstocks and bioresources
- New products, value-added products and supply services
- Sustainable industrial processes
The projects are expected to last up to three years and must include at least three partners from different contributing countries.
The deadline for submitting pre-proposals is 2nd March.