Failure of e-bike lithium-ion battery ‘sparked fire in London flat’

London Fire Brigade has warned over the risks amid a rise in fire incidents from e-scooters and e-bikes

Part of a flat of a three-storey block in Stepney Green was damaged by a fire which is believed to have been caused by the failure of an e-bike lithium-ion battery.

London Fire Brigade (LFB) with four fire engines and 25 firefighters were called to the scene – there were no reports of any injuries.

A LFB spokesperson said: “It’s incredibly concerning we are continuing to see a rise in incidents involving e-bikes and e-scooters.

“When these batteries and chargers fail, they do so with ferocity and because the fires develop so rapidly the situation can quickly become incredibly serious.

“Lithium-ion batteries are susceptible to failure if incorrect chargers are used and there is a significant risk posed by e-bikes which have been converted.

“We are predominantly seeing fires in ones which have been purchased from online marketplaces and batteries which have been sourced on the internet, which may not meet the correct safety standards.”

Data from LFB shows that crews have already attended more than 30 fires involving e-bikes and e-scooters.

Last year, there were more than 100 fires recorded in the capital involving lithium-ion batteries.

Make sure you check out the latest Net Hero Podcast episode:

Net zero is a way to cut your costs and help the planet, so what’s stopping you? Often, it’s just the right help and advice. That’s what we will provide at the Big Zero Show this July. Workshops, expert speakers, case studies and exhibitions. Plus, networking with 1500 peers and potential customers. Register for free now.


Latest Podcast