Shell strikes deepwater gas in Malaysia

Anglo-Dutch firm Shell has struck gas in deep water off the coast of Malaysia. Its Rosmari well which is 135 kilometres out to sea was drilled 2,123 metres deep. The well […]

Register now!

By Vicky Ellis

Anglo-Dutch firm Shell has struck gas in deep water off the coast of Malaysia.

Its Rosmari well which is 135 kilometres out to sea was drilled 2,123 metres deep. The well encountered more than 450 metres of gas column.

Iain Lo, Chairman of Shell Malaysia said: “This adds to Shell’s sequence of recent exploration successes in Malaysia.”

Andy Brown, Director, Shell Upstream International added: “Rosmari-1 is a testament to our ability to successfully drill and build understanding of new geology within our existing exploration heartlands, adding value to our existing assets in Malaysia.”

Shell owns 85% of the drilling block with the other 15% held by Malaysian oil and gas firm Petronas.