E-bike fire prompts safety warning ahead of Christmas

A house fire in Hackney, attributed to an e-bike battery failure, has prompted the London Fire Brigade to issue a safety warning

A serious house fire in Hackney believed to be caused by an e-bike battery failure, has left a woman critically injured after jumping from a window to escape.

The blaze destroyed most of the three-story house, prompting the London Fire Brigade to issue a warning regarding e-bike safety.

Assistant Commissioner Charlie Pugsley urged owners not to store or charge e-bikes in escape routes, emphasising the ferocity and rapid spread of lithium battery fires.

The incident follows a recent e-bike battery fire in Harringay, contributing to a concerning trend, with 150 e-bike and 28 e-scooter fires in 2023 – a 53% increase from 2022.

The Brigade urges caution in e-bike purchases, advocating for reputable sellers and proper usage to mitigate fire risks.

Make sure you check out the latest Net Hero Podcast episode:

Net zero is a way to cut your costs and help the planet, so what’s stopping you? Often, it’s just the right help and advice. That’s what we will provide at the Big Zero Show this July. Workshops, expert speakers, case studies and exhibitions. Plus, networking with 1500 peers and potential customers. Register for free now.


Latest Podcast