National Grid: Shelved nuclear energy projects take £137m out of profits

The grid operator lost 31% of its profits before tax, down to £1.84 billion

Toshiba pulls out of UK nuclear power venture

It has decided to wind up its nuclear arm, NuGeneration, which planned to build the Moorside project

Company behind new Cumbrian nuclear plant confirms job cuts

Toshiba-owned NuGen’s 100-plus team will be reduced to less than 40

South Korean firm announced as preferred bidder at Moorside

South Korea’s state utility has been announced as the preferred bidder for Toshiba’s nuclear project in the UK. The Korea Electric Power Corporation (Kepco) has reached a provisional agreement to buy the subsidiary NuGen, which is responsible for developing the Moorside nuclear project in Cumbria. It beat away competition from China General Nuclear Power Corporation […]

China’s CGN eyes second nuclear power deal in UK

A Chinese nuclear energy developer is exploring a bid to invest in a nuclear power station under construction in Cumbria. CGN, which already owns a large stake in the Hinkley Point C facility, hopes to buy an equity stake in Toshiba’s 3.4GW NuGen Moorside project. A CGN spokesperson said: “CGN has accepted the invitation to […]

National Grid puts Moorside nuclear transmission line on hold

National Grid has halted development consent for the transmission line connecting a new proposed nuclear power station at Moorside. A spokesperson told ELN it has paused the approval process for the £2.8 billion connection project following developer NuGen’s decision to carry out a “strategic review”. A total of 21 companies in the area applied to […]

UK nuclear project faces uncertainty as ENGIE pulls out

French energy company ENGIE is selling its stake in the venture behind a proposed new nuclear power station in Cumbria. It intends to sell its 40% shares to Toshiba, which owns the remainder of NuGen – the UK-based nuclear energy company that plans to build three Westinghouse reactors at Moorside. Toshiba is to pay ¥15.3 […]

UK regulators approve Westinghouse nuclear reactor

A reactor designed by Toshiba’s nuclear unit has been approved by UK regulators. The Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR), the Environment Agency (EA) and Natural Resources Wales (NRW) said they are satisfied the reactor meets expectations on safety, security and environmental protection. The approval is needed before Westinghouse can use the reactor at NuGeneration’s (NuGen) […]

More nuclear plants nigh after Toshiba and GDF SUEZ deal

A trio of new nuclear power stations in the UK are one step closer after Toshiba bought a 60% stake in company NuGen today. The Japanese firm’s deal with GDF SUEZ (which keeps the other 40%) should see three Westinghouse AP1000 reactors built in West Cumbria. The first reactor at Moorside power plant is hoped […]