Olympic message key for sustainability, says EDF

Power supplier EDF Energy says its clean energy promise for the Olympics will change the way people think about energy. Gareth Wynn, EDF Energy’s 2012 Group Director told ELN: “We’re […]

Register now!

By Tom Gibson

Power supplier EDF Energy says its clean energy promise for the Olympics will change the way people think about energy.

Gareth Wynn, EDF Energy’s 2012 Group Director told ELN: “We’re providing an electricity supply for the Olympic park which is matched. Every unit of consumption at the Olympic Park will be matched by a unit of production from either our nuclear or our renewable assets.”

The French firm say they will use “the power of the Olympic Games” to encourage people to change the way they think about and use energy. 80% of the power EDF supplies comes from their nuclear fleet, while the remaining 20% comes from renewable sources.

Mr Wynn said this knowledge could make a difference: “In the long run if we can get people to distinguish between where their electricity comes from, it will drive demand for low carbon electricity, which will drive investment.”